Sunday, August 16, 2009

What I'm Playing This Weekend



It's weekend again, so I'll give you a backup on what I've been playing.
The amount of games is down to, well, one game. But I'll start with some comments about CoD5 and HD Remix.

Call of Duty: World at War


It took me a while but now I'm through the campaign. Overall it was a good game. I don't make a secret of how I've been bored by World War II games over the years. But CoD 5 was okay. It made fun. And the graphics were good. But now I'll have to rant on a high level: I didn't like the Soviet campaign as much as the US campaign against the Japanese. I'm from Germany myself and in no way I want to play down the cruelities that the Nazi regime did, but there was a scene when the soviets shoot a bunch of German soldiers that capitulated. It was a little too much for me. And than the Nazi Zombie mode. I know it's popular and it's fun, but come on, Nazi zombies? That's the exact same bullshit like this.
But the thing that made me furious the most, besides dying and trying half an hour on the same spot over and over again, is how few gamerscore this game gave me. I played it on normal, just playing without thinking about achievements, but in the end I came up with 170 out of 1000 gamerscore. That is ridiculous. A game should give you 400, better 500 gamerscore for just playing through the campaign.
Whatever, I don't have anymore time for playing this to get more. And I don't want to. It's finished for me.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix


Propably you know it, this is my multiplayer game. Right now it's that my win/loss ratio is tending to be way more getting beat up. The average niveau of HD Remix players has become pretty high lately. I hate to say it but I am anything but outstanding... I just get beat up by people that pity me with insulting personal messages and when I am close to winning people just early quit. How I hate this. But my revenge is giving them bad ratings. Haha!
... Oh, what a sad person I am...

Far Cry 2


Finally I got into this game and it's awesome. I know there's a lot of people out there that didn't like Far Cry 2, but, hey, that's not my problem. Sure there are questionable design choices made by Ubisoft. For example the savepoint system. Wouldn't it have been more fluid to have to option to save anytime?
But well, it's just a little mark on a incredibly polished product. The graphics are amazing. The action is so enjoyable! It's an interesting game - an open world ego shooter with adventure elements. I remembered how people called it GTA Mogadishu, but that's not the case. Far Cry 2 has a big open world and you work for criminals, but that are the only similarities. Okay, the story is relatively weak, in contrast to GTA definitely.
But I'll have to admit, the thing for me that is the most fascinating is how much this game looks like real africa. Do you remember those dev videos where they visited Africa to get the level design as close as possible to the real landscape there? They definitly achieved that goal.
It deserves the name Far Cry, even when not being developed by CryTek. And it proves that Crysis is possible on consoles.
The fire, the explosions, the action of Far Cry 2 makes me heart beat faster!
These are some random thoughts, but I'll write more in the coming weeks. For now I just wanted to make the statement that I am anything but disappointed by Far Cry 2.

I mean, just look at this! Doesn't it make your fingers itch?

No comments: