Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dead Space Afterthoughts


Dead Space was one of 2008's big games - and a brand new and fresh franchise by EA. Who would've thought that not a long time ago? 1Up did an interview with Glen Schofield, producer of Dead Space:
1UP: Did you ever have plans to include more of the zero-gravity moments? Those feel a bit underused.

GS: I guess it seems that way, but there are actually 14 or 15 zero-g areas. We have tons of ideas for more, but we took the "less is more" approach -- we'd rather have you longing for more rather than getting bored of it. I think zero-g is paced well throughout the game, and based on feedback it seems to be a fan favorite.

[...]

1UP: We see a lot of elements borrowed from other games -- Resident Evil 4 and System Shock to name a few. Also, in the mess hall there's a poster for Rancid Moon, the original concept for Dead Space. Does it have any, more subtle takeaways from other titles or Easter eggs that we may have overlooked?

GS: Did you see the first letter of each chapter? Put them together. The Unitology language also gives hints along the way. My photo is used for the farmer products in the hydroponics bay. Of course, there's the shooting gallery. And the big one is if you play the game a second time, you realize that Nicole just isn't always acting right. I know there are more, and I've got to leave some to be discovered.

[...]

1UP: First there was Gordon Freeman, and now there's Isaac Clarke...why are engineers and scientists such good killers?

GS: It's your instinct to survive that kicks in, I believe. Plus, these guys are smart and can adapt quickly. I may be a videogame producer, but put me into a life-or-death situation and I'll come out swinging. I will not go down without one hell of a fight, which is the way we thought when creating Isaac's character.


That's a real man, doing real manly games for men. Hell, yeah!

No comments: