Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Molyneux: Videogames Will Tell The Best Story Ever Told


Good read from 1Up: Peter Molyneux said that videogames will tell the best story ever told, even better than the story of the Godfather (the movie) by 2016. Of course the story will be told by him and his studio:
"The greatest story ever told? I think it's going to be in a computer game," Molyneux said.

"And I think that if I play the greatest story ever told in the same game as you play it, your greatest story is going to be different to my greatest story. And that is power."

Never one to set his sights too low, Molyneux added, "That ambition to do that, to write that story, or to write that game that allows you to experience that story, is definitely something Lionhead Studios wants to do."

Did videogame stories not already surpass movie stories? There are great movies out there that really broadened my horizont and made me think and the same can be said about videogames. But videogames have the advance that they are not so limited: a long movie with 3 hours would be a very short movie. I know, a good story doesn't necessary have to be long, but personally I love to let me fall in the fantasy worlds, if you know what I mean. That is the reason why I watch series like Prison Break and Lost since years - they are told so good and they have a large enough time frame to unfold, I can't stop thinking about them. Star Wars as a movie introduced a giant universe - a universe of which you just get the taste by watching the movies. There is so much literature out to Star Wars, an animated series and lots of videogames.
As a single player I like my videogames like a good novel (which will be the all time best story telling medium, in my humble opinion): interesting set up storyline and looong. And just that gave me games like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. And when I think of the original story that made Final Fantasy VII a legend, I think that videogames told their stories even better than movies a decade ago, Mr. Molyneux.

No comments: