Thursday, April 16, 2009

Street Fighter Frustration


Perhaps you know that I am a big Street Fighter fan. I've been playing it more or less intense since the 16Bit generation or as I call it The Golden Age of Video Games. But since the release of Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix on Xbox Live last november I am infected again. At first it was hard to do the tricks with the 360 pad because of it's messed up D-Pad but after a while I could do all tricks with the analogue stick. I am really a big single player but HD Remix is so simple and fast, you can always play a few rounds in between epic single player experiences like Fallout 3. So it all began. Once and for all I realized that good gameplay is timeless and that playing Street Fighter is an art. Beating people up virtually in the propably best balanced fighting game ever made is satisfaction that never grows old. And so it is no wonder that I am still playing it and will be playing it until the end of Xbox 360. And with that I mean HD Remix and not Street Fighter IV which is too big and over the top and has a crappy main menu theme.

The problem is that I recently had horrible stats. Thing is online I play Blanka, and only Blanka, and I've become better than the average. As good as always my wins are over my losses. But yesterday and today I felt like a completely noob, ending with stats like 2 wins to 13 losses. Yeah, that really sucked on my self esteem as gamer and Street Fighter player. There are enemies I fear - a good Guile player is so hard to beat. I don't know how to get at him, he always fires his sonic booms and when I come on jump-kicking he does his flash kicks. Or Akumas that mastered Hadokens, especially those out of the jumps. Pretty much every good player can pressure you in a match, but Guile is a horror. And then you break your losing spree and the bastard on the other end quits the game early. That makes me furious and giving him a bad rating - so much justice needs to be done.
Perhaps those were only two bad days, it would be terrible 'having lost it'. But I won't give up! Blanka The Beast will rise again!

Have you guys ever felt like having lost your skills? Then you know what I am talking about.

No comments: