Sunday, November 8, 2009

What I've Played This Weekend


Weekend is neary over, so time for a short recap. Yes, this is the one with Modern Warfare 2 in it. It contains some major spoilers, just that I warned you.

Modern Warfare 2


So, why not start with it? Thanks to my favorite video game mailorder I've had the pleasure to get the game on friday, which is 4 days before release. On saturday I took myself the time to play through the campaign. It took me about 6 hours on normal difficulty (the second difficulty, can't remember what it's called right now). And what should I say? Well, the story is intense but weird. I mean, a US undercover agent is involved in a massacre at the airport in Moscow and then Russia full scale invades the United States, without any diplomatical researches?! Anyway, the story is getting really weird, when you get doublecrossed by your general ( "History is written by the victors."), the newly established character Roach gets shot and Captain Price and Soap McTavish find themselves against all with their backs to the wall.
But anyway, the story may be not too serious, the action and gameplay is above all doubts. Just like it's ultra popular predecessor, Modern Warfare 2 is an hell of a game. I mean, the presentation is as enormous as videogames can be. I dare to say not even Roland Emmerich could destroy the world better. So from explosions, to crashing helicopters to EMP rockets there's something for everyone.
A big part plays the variety of levels - you will fight with different characters in Afghanistan, Brazil, Russia (Moscow and the part of Russia that Sarah Palin can see from her Alaska) and last but not least in the United States. The most memorable I found the Cliffhanger mission right at the beginning of the game, the storm on the Gulag soviet prison and the fight through the Afghan mountains at the end.
The visuals of this game look so damn nice! I guess to this point most of you have seen videos and screenshots of Modern Warfare 2. Yep, it looks that good.
Man, I will finish with that I found that campaign very nice and that Modern Warfare 2 is a worthy sequel. I haven't yet decided if I should find it better, but it is on the same level as Call of Duty 4.
Can't say anything about Multiplayer or Spec Ops, because I didn't have the time to check them out. But everyone says it's awesome, so I take that for granted.


Borderlands



Okay, I just finished Borderlands with my Level 35 Soldier character. The Vault itself was not what I expected it to be but it gave at least some good experience points and an 50 gamerscore achievement. Unlike Modern Warfare 2 Borderlands nearly has no story. Little to no story at best. But you know what? That's completely unimportant, because the gameplay is so good and addicting. Just imagine Borderlands as Diablo II with guns. Man, I am loving it. Good thing is, that I can, even after finishing the main quest, return to the wasteland, uhhm, borderlands to do all of the many side quests. On playthrough 2 I've heard the enemies are harder to kill and give more experience. That's perfect, because I feel the need to level my character up to the maximum level of 50. And I've found myself to play this game in co-operative mode often. That's rare for me, but the game greatly gets better and funnier played with other people. Plus you gain group experience and get better loot. And loot is what Borderlands is all about.

Street Fighter IV


Just played a few rounds. Still trying to win three times in a row in Championship Mode, which is somehow difficult when you play only against experienced opponents. And I'll have to admit, I can't wait for Super Street Fighter IV. Because of the car destruction stages. With that Capcom got me and my little old retro gamer heart.

That was it for this weekend.

No comments: