Thursday, June 4, 2009

E3 2009 Xbox 360 Pad Is Here To Stay


Project Natal hypes up the internet and many gamers think that whenever it'll be released it will be the end of pad based gaming. That is nonsense. Like Steam didn't killed the physical medium.
Natal will at best open up a new genre of motion based games or traditional games will have short features of motion control. That's what I predict. The gaming culture is traditionally tied to pad control and that won't change. Natal is more like adding and less like replacing. Don't believe me, than hear what Don Mattrick of Microsoft has to say:
Speaking in an interview with Edge-Online, Mattrick said "I think we've got the best thumb-based controller ever created.

"We're not going to take anything away. There will be controller-based games," he said. "What we're really doing is adding to our platform; when I think about Natal, I think of it like a Guitar Hero controller-it fits the experience better. There will still be games that use the controller, games that use only Natal, and games that use a combination.

"Think, you could be playing a game with a controller and have your character react when you instinctively duck out of the way of an explosion, or the ability to throw a grenade with a gesture. I don't think of Natal as taking anything away, I see it as adding more," he added.

Source

No comments: