Saturday, December 13, 2008

What I'm Playing This Weekend: Prince of Persia


Cause I ran outta money and the Which Game Christmas Edition lead to Fallout 3, I decided to make the best out of it and rented the new Prince of Persia.
I played approximately 5 hours and there are a few things about this game that I have to say:

- I like the story and I like the Prince's oneliner. He's a really sympathic guy and you easily empathize with him. I'd like to see his donkey Farah, hope that's gonna happen in the game.
- The cel shading is beyond awesome. This game looks like a dream!
- The animations are great. Once I ran over a neat gap and Elika was blocking the way. What happened? The Prince grapped her hands and they did a lovely dancing turn around. That impressed and amazed me. I didn't expect this.
- This game is more of a platformer than an Action Adventure. Jump'n'running is what you do 90% of the time - it needs time to get used to the moving in this game, but then it's plain fun. And though this game is made by Ubisoft and build on the Assassin's Creed engine it doesn't feel like AC.
- The fighting system is not that good. Sometimes it's really annoying. I fought this damn Warrior King about 10 minutes until I figured out to throw him off the cliff. And I fought this Concubine monster for eternities. You can't get through her blocks. Best thing is to let her kill you, (which will never happen, cause Elika always saves your ass - first game in which is it impossible to die (besides Bioshock))and then suddenly attack her with all you got. Once the concubine powers up, it's hopeless. Even lifting her up with your gauntlet is hard then.
- The world is not as open as I'd expected. Sure it's one big connected world - and there are no Matrix breaks as in AC, thankfully - but the only real large and open area is the desert before the world tree. The rest is more like a cave system, corridor like. I'd hoped that it were a bit more Zelda-like, but you can't fall 5m deep, here comes Elika and saves you. That cuts the freeroaming aspect in my opinion.

But my first impression of this game is a very good one. It's fun, it plays well and looks like no other game.


That's Elika. She follows the Prince the whole game and is essential for the forthcoming.

The Prince is a bad ass mofo with a loose tongue. You will like him.

I smell a love story between the both. But that makes the game only playworthier. More games should have such emotional links.

No comments: