Saturday, May 23, 2009

What I'm Playing This Weekend


I think it's time once again for a status report of my gaming behavior. I like to play whenever I can but lately I noticed that my real life takes most of my day and I am happy when I manage to play about 5 to 10 hours a week. Not so much, I know, but my studies need their time and Personal Gaming to be up to date.
So, this weekend I had the pleasure to play a selection of different games for different platforms:

The Lord of The Rings Conquest (PS3)

Despite being a big Lord of the Rings fan I didn't pay much attention to this game when it was released in early 2009. I saw mediocre reviews and couldn't care less but yesterday we rented it and tried it out. In this class based hack'n'slay title you will play as an unimportant soldier, bowman or mage in the famous battles you know from the big screen. When you progress and the map is near completion you get the chance to finally play as one of the fellowship of the ring. We defeated Sauron with Isildur, defended Helm's Klamm with Aragorn and tried to sink the Orthanc with Treebeard and Gandalf. That was very funny and what made it even better was that the game is underlined with the original score of the movies and the cut scenes are taken from the movie as well. You gotta love the movie to like this game, but that's with every LOTR game nowadays.
What sucked was that there was some kind of bug when we tried to bash Saruman and he hided somewhere in the Orthanc and we were unable to find him. He was behind a door you couldn't pass. This must've been a bug.
Another great thing about this Lord of the Rings is the implementation of a split screen as it should be. Not experiements gone wrong as in CoD5:WaW or Resident Evil 5 but a splitscreen as it should be orienting on the perfect Gears/ Unreal Tournament 3 splitscreen solution.

Time Crisis 4 (PS3)

This game is a joke not only that the German synchro was a complete fail, the graphics are shitty and the plastic pistol is a calibration mess. You even have to put special sensors on your TV because most tvs these days seem to have 100herz which kills any kind of light gun. The game itself was a waste of time. Better play some House of the Dead or Umbrella Chronicles on Wii or wait for the upcoming and promising Dead Space Extraction. For these kind of games the Wii is made! Time Crisis 4 gets a no-no from me.

Killzone 2 (PS3)

Managed to play a few minutes of Killzone 2's campaign as well. Can't say anything you wouldn't know already. Graphics, Gameplay, Action all over the top. Very nice game.

The Lost And Damned (Xbox 360)

So, I finally took myself the time to continue The Lost And Damned. I played about 2 hours this night and I got remembered why GTA IV made it as my GOTY 2008. Rockstar released propably the most detailed game of all time with GTA IV. Everything looks so great: the shifting times of the day and the unparalleled weather system make the game outstanding! Going out for a contract killer job in the middle of a thunderstorm or fleeing from a bunch of heavy armored FBI cars in the heat of the noon, shooting choppers out of the air with rocket launchers and listening to Max Cavalera's radio show while riding on a chopper through Liberty City. This game is massive and I am very glad that I finally can play the latest chapter. Plus I think that Johnny is an interesting character. Wouldn't have thougth this before to be honest.

The Fallout 3 Add Ons (Xbox 360)

As you propably know in case you read Personal Gaming on a constant basis, I'm a huge Fallout 3 fan. Lately I've bought all of the three former Xbox 360 exclusive add ons. Now I finished Operation Anchorage, which I liked more than I expected after hearing that many gamers didn't like it, and The Pitt, which I found depressing because of it's super industrial style.
Good thing is that I know have a Gauss-Rifle (from Op Anchorage) and that thing is so strong it's an instant killer. I'm now at level 24 and officially the lord of the Pitt. I sided with the rebels but I didn't like any side to be honest. Both sides were grey and not one black and one white in terms of morality, if you know what I mean. Cool thing is that I somewhere found a Deathclaw Gauntlet and this is perhaps the strongest meelee weapon you can imagine. One whip with this and it's dismemberment.
But right now I am happy that I am once again united with my super mutant buddy Fawkes and my loyal dog Dogmeat and his puppies. I like Fawkes very much, he's kind of weird, but what do you expect of a former human being that his whole live lived in a cage, sitting in front of his computer, which was his only window to the outside world, and that was constantly abused for sick experiements. Good thing he is on my side because you better don't fuck with his chain laser.

So much for this weekend, real life calls! Have a nice weekend yourselves!

No comments: